Das Komx

Monday, October 17, 2005

Teratoid Heights



I finally got my own copy and read this. Matt Brinkman, of Fort Thunder fame, makes some nice pictures although I admit they took me a little bit of getting used to at first. Teratoid Heights is good, but it is the art that is the best part. The stories are too short and not always very interesting or funny. I think Brinkman's best work in this style are his Two Dudes and Skeleton Jelly comics. They can be had for free here which is a great thing since tracking down a copy of the out-of-print Teratoid Heights can be costly: the only copy availible used on Amazon at the time of this writing was going for $44.95!

I consider Jim Woodring's Frank Book to be a much better book in the same vein as Teratoid.

Conclusion: Save the time and money of hunting down Teratoid and just get the two free strips mentioned above.

One thing I must say about the presentation of the book, and most small press/indpt books like this, is that you really can't beat it. Teratoid is something like 6" by 5" in dimension and the UPC is on a sort of wrap-around bookmark on the last page which says "Teratoid Heights" along the other side. The paper stock is fairly heavy and stories are separated by black pages. It's very nice indeed.

Now I leave you with a hilarious frame from Two Dudes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home